Crew Safety Orientation
The 72hr interactive version is an online elearning course with interactive knowledge checks / quiz questions. You WILL receive a completion certificate.
The 48hr streaming version is video only, and does NOT include a completion certificate.
Formerly Deckhand Orientation & Injury Prevention Training for the Inland and Coastal Waterways, this best-sellingåÊprogram has been updated toåÊinclude the requirements found in the Subchapter M regulations. RegulationåÊ46 CFR 140. 410 Safety Orientation requires that prior to getting underway for the first time on a particular vessel each crewmember must receive a safety orientation.
This program also covers the training topics requiredåÊby theåÊAmerican Waterways Operators, Responsible Carrier Program (RCP) for entry level and deck crew personnel. Training topics cover orientation, safe work practices and hazard awareness instruction.
Modules Titles and Running Times:
- Onboard Duties and ResponsibilitiesåÊ(5 minutes):
- Topics include: Personal Requirements, Crew Duties, Crew Positions, Work Schedules, Onboard Life
- Work Policies and HousekeepingåÊ(5 minutes):
- Topics include: PPE, Housekeeping, Tools, Respirator Training, Hearing Protection
- Safety Policies and PracticesåÊ(8 minutes):
- Topics Include: Hazard Awareness, Ladder Safety, Fall Protection, Lockout/Tagout, Confined Space, HAZCOM, SDS, Tool Inspection and Maintenance
- Emergency ResponseåÊ(7:48 minutes):
- Topics include: Station Bill, Emergency Duties, Man Overboard, Fire Safety & Response, Fire Extinguishing Equipment
- Vessel Incident ResponseåÊ(6 minutes):
- Topics include: Grounding, Sinking, Vessel Abandonment, Collisions, Allisions, Emergency Response
- Injury PreventionåÊ(7 minutes):
- Topics include: Building a Safety Culture, Slips, Trips and Falls, Back Safety and Lifting, Sprains and Strains, Posture Relief, Stretching, Reporting Unsafe Conditions or Acts
- Safe Decking and Towing PracticesåÊ(11 minutes):
- Topics include: Building Tow, Hand Signals, Radios, Laying Wires and Ratchets, Safe Use of Rigging, Deck Work, Barge Inspection, Hazards at Night, Snow and Ice, Watch the Bump
- Line HandlingåÊ(5 minutes):
- Topics include: Tying up Boat & Barge, Throwing Lines, Safe Line Handling, Line Hazards, Line Snapback, Deck Fittings, Checking Barges, Bight Hazards Responsible Carrier Program
- 46 CFR Subchapter M RequirementsåÊ(6 minutes):
Topics include: Location, Operation, and Use of Lifesaving Equipment; Emergency Response Roles and Responsibilities,åÊ
åÊegress procedures; Use and Operation of Watertight/Weathertight Closures